Nutrition Ninjas Term 1 Week 2
This week, our ninjas were back in the kitchen cooking up a storm! We prepared a Baked Chicken, Lemon and Thyme Risotto. We have become very skilled with using knives, and did an excellent job slicing up mushrooms and onions. This dinner was super cheesy and delicious, and the recipe is provided for you below. We hope you enjoyed it!
Baked Chicken, Lemon and Thyme Risotto
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 50 min
200g white mushrooms
250g diced chicken leg
1 chicken stock cube
200g risotto rice
A handful of thyme
50g peppery salad leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
freshly ground pepper
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Trim the top and the bottom off the leek. Halve it and rinse out any grit. Finely slice it. Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely slice the mushrooms. Grate the zest from the lemon. Put the lemon to the side for later.
2. Warm 1/2 tbsp oil in a large pan. Add the diced chicken leg. Stir and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes till the chicken is golden all over.
3. Add the leek, onion and mushrooms to the pan. Season. Fry for 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft and juicy. Pop the stock cube into a heatproof measuring jug. Pour in 1 litre of boiling water. Stir to mix.
4. Stir the risotto rice into the pan with the lemon zest and the thyme sprigs. Pour in all the stock. Gently cook and stir over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Spoon the risotto into an ovenproof dish. Cover with a lid or foil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes till almost all the stock is absorbed. Take the lid or foil off. Cook for a further 5 minutes to dry it out a little.
6. While the risotto cooks, squeeze the juice from half of the lemon into a small bowl. Add 1/2 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Whisk with a fork to make a dressing. Toss the salad leaves with the dressing.
7. Finely grate the Parmesan. Stir most of it into the risotto with a squeeze of lemon juice from the remaining lemon half. Fish out the thyme. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve the risotto in bowls topped with the remaining Parmesan and salad on the side.