Nutrition Ninjas Term 1 Week 5
This week we made delicious Beef Enchiladas. It was exciting to create our own spice mix and we thoroughly enjoyed smelling our enchiladas cooking in the oven. There are lost of elements to cooking these enchiladas so the recipe we used is listed here for you.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 35 min
1 tsp each onion & garlic powder
1 Tbs each cumin powder, paprika and dried oregano
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs plain flour
2 cup chicken stock low sodium
1 1/2 cup tomato passata
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion finely chopped
500g ground beef mince
400g refried beans
400g black beans
1.5 cup grated melting cheese (we used tasty cheese)
1. Mix together spice mix ingredients. set aside
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix to combine into a paste. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
3. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock, whisk immediately then it will turn into a thick smooth paste quite quickly.
4. Add remaining chicken stock, passata, salt, pepper and 2 Tbs of spice mix. Whisk.
5. Increase heat slightly to medium high. Cook for 3-5 minutes, whisking regularly, until the sauce thickens to a thick syrup consistency. Remove from stove.
6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
7. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add beef and cook for 2 minutes, breaking it up as you go. Add remaining spice mix. Cook a further 2 minutes or until completely brown.
9. Add refried beans, black bean 1/4 cup enchilada sauce and salt and pepper, mix and cook for 2 minutes before removing from stove.
10. Smear a little bit of sauce into bottom of the baking dish.
11. Place filling in the lower third of the tortilla. Roll up then place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
12. Pour sauce over the enchiladas, top with cheese, bake for 10 minutes covered and then 10 minutes uncovered. Serve hot!